In the southern Troodos Mountains, east of Koilani (Limassol district) in a gorge over a spring on the west bank of the Kryos at 700m a.s.l. The settlement at Koilani is recorded since the late 12th century [Papacostas (1999a) 6.C.90] and a monastery on the site is attested in the Ottoman period [Stylianou (1957) 82 and Grishin (1996) 63-64; Kyprianos (1788) 393; Kyriazes (1950) 76-77]. The local cult of Maure is attested since the 16th century [Lusignan (1580) 56v.-57r.; Mouriki (1993) 251-52].
Description: The dome-hall structure was built in rubble masonry with slightly pointed arches and a drumless dome with a cavity. An early 13th century icon of Saints Timothy and Maure from this church is now kept at the Koilani Ecclesiastical Museum [Papageorgiou (1992) 33-34; Sophocleous (1994) 86].
Dating: A 12th-century terminus ante quem is provided by the earliest layer of fresco decoration in the west recesses [MKE 9, 354-55; ARDA 1991, 22]; Procopiou proposes a mid-11th century date [Procopiou (2006a) 236].
Later additions / alterations: In the 15th century the interior was decorated with frescoes, and later on a western extension was added [Gunnis (1936) 271; Stylianou (1985) 236-37]. A timber roof was erected over the structure at an unknown date, but it was removed in the 1920s.
Modern repairs: In the 1980s and early 90s the damaged frescoes were consolidated and cleaned, the plaster was removed revealing more frescoes, and the timber roof (which had been removed in the 1920s) was reconstructed [ARDA 1984, 20, 1985, 21, 1987, 22, 1991, 22].
Plan / section: Procopiou (2006a) 240-241.