In the Karpas peninsula at Rizokarpaso (Famagusta district), the village presumably hosting the local episcopal see after the abandonment of the nearby coastal city of Carpasia [Papacostas (1995) Gazetteer 4].
Description: The single-aisled vaulted structure with a semi-circular apse was built in good ashlar masonry. Its vault is supported by horse-shoe arches, and there are horse-shoe recessed blind arches along the north and south walls. Brick is used in arches of the double window on the apse wall, and on the west façade. On the latter it is employed in the relieving arch over the doorway, in the (now blocked) double window arches, and in the decorative pattern flanking the relieving arch. Fragments of fresco decoration are also preserved.
Dating: An early (?) 12th century terminus ante quem is provided by the fresco decoration [MKE 9, 335-36].
Later additions / alterations: A now ruinous narthex was added at an unknown date, a door was opened on the south wall and a window was opened on the north wall.
Modern repairs: In 1939 the missing parts of the apse and the north wall were rebuilt, and the west doorway was reconstructed. In 1946 new doors and window panels were installed, and the north and south walls were restored to their original height with the addition of three courses. The roof was tiled in the 1960s [RDAC 1937-39, 178; ARDA 1967, 11; Papageorgiou (1969) 156].
Early literature: Gunnis reported a (now lost) ‘mosaic pavement of white and yellow marble, cut to geometric patterns’ (opus sectile?) in the apse [Gunnis (1936) 412].