For map see entry on HGC site << Previous Entry Next Entry >>

In Famagusta, within the medieval walled city (Famagusta district), attached to the late medieval Saint George of the Greeks. It is perhaps to be identified with the site of Sinai’s metochion of Saint Symeon, attested in the Lusignan period [Papacostas (1999a) 6.B.I.78].

Description: The now ruinous and much altered church was originally erected as a domed cross-in-square structure built in ashlar, with a semi-circular apse containing a synthronon.

Dating: A probable late 12th century date may be suggested on account of the architecture, while a mid-11th century terminus post quem is provided by a coin found under the floor [RDAC 1935, 1; MKE 12, 354; an untenable early medieval date is suggested in Kyrris (1967) 16, and a 15th-century date in Soteriou (1931b) 735].

Later additions / alterations: A dome-hall structure was added to the south (13th century?), partly replacing the south cross arm and compartments of the cross-in-square church, and a large three-aisled rib-vaulted basilica (Saint George of the Greeks) was attached to the north in the 14th century [Enlart/Hunt (1987) 253-58; Jeffery (1918) 147-51]. A western extension was added subsequently.

Modern repairs: The collapsed conch of the apse was rebuilt in 1960 and minor repairs were made in the early 1970s [ARDA 1960, 12, 1972, 12].

Early literature: By the early 1880s the dome had collapsed, although that of the south chapel was still standing [L’Anson and Vacher (1882/83) 25; Enlart/Hunt (1987) 257; see also the section and elevation in Jeffery (1915/16) fig. 24]. Fragments of fresco decoration were reported in the early 20th century [Gunnis (1936) 96]. According to Soteriou, this church and the later south chapel were dedicated to the Archangel and Saint Luke [Soteriou (1931b) 735].

Views: L’Anson and Vacher (1882/83) fig. 16 [south chapel’s interior]; Soteriou (1935) pl. 48a and 50a.

Plan / section: L’Anson and Vacher (1882/83) fig. 18 [sketch plan]; Jeffery (1915/16) figs. 23-24 [showing the adjacent structures as contemporaneous: see also Jeffery (1918) 147-48]; Soteriou (1935) 55, Papageorgiou (1982c) 221 and Papageorgiou (1995b) 288 [plan by T. Mogabgab, showing various building phases].