For map see entry on HGC site << Previous Entry Next Entry >>

In the immediate hinterland of Famagusta, 1.2 miles (2 km) east of Deryneia (Famagusta district) near the coast.

Description: The small dome-hall structure was built in rough ashlar masonry with a semi-circular apse and round arches and vaults.

Dating: A 12th century (?) date is suggested by the architecture [MKE 9, 319-20]; a late 11th-century date has been proposed by Procopiou [Procopiou (2006a) 44].

Later additions / alterations: A domed narthex / extension was added to the west, and a 14th-century vaulted single-aisled chapel was attached to the south [MKE 9, 319-20].

Modern repairs: The structure was repaired, new window panels were fitted, and a later apse opening was walled [ARDA 1958, 14].

Views: Papageorgiou (1965b) pl. LIII.1; ARDA 1958, fig. 6.

Plan / section: Procopiou (2006a) 47.