In the Karpas peninsula, northeast of Leibadia (Famagusta district), which is perhaps to be identified with a settlement attested since the late 12th century [Papacostas (1999a) 6.C.49].
Description: The small domed cruciform structure in rubble masonry incorporates the apse of an earlier building with a 7th-century mosaic [Megaw and Hawkins (1971); Megaw (1985b) 195-98; Michaelides (1992) 122, no. 71]. Both barrel vaults and dome are irregular, while the latter has a cavity in the centre.
Dating: The cruciform church dates to the middle Byzantine period, perhaps to the 12th century [Megaw and Hawkins (1971) 363-64; MKE 8, 113-14; Soteriou suggests a pre-10th century date on account of the apse mosaic, the masonry type and the dome: Soteriou (1931a) 484].
Later additions / alterations: The interior was decorated in the 13th century, with fresco fragments surviving in the northeast pendentive, in the dome and in the apse [Stylianou (1985) 52]. An extension was added to the west and a porch to the south of the church [Gunnis (1936) 328].
Modern repairs: The lower part of the apse mosaic was discovered under a layer of plaster [ARDA 1961, 13].
Early literature: Jeffery mentions the church and the mosaic, dating both to the 16th century [Jeffery (1918) 250].