For map see entry on HGC site << Previous Entry Next Entry >>

The church is situated in the northern foothills of the Pentadaktylos Mountains, 2 miles (3 km) southeast of Hagios Ambrosios (Kyrenia district) and 1 mile (1.5 km) west of Antiphonetes, at 380m a.s.l. A monastery on the site is attested in the Ottoman period [Kyriazes (1950) 108] but no monastic buildings survive, apart from the gate [Jeffery (1907a) 8, Jeffery (1918) 337-38; Peristianes (1910) 899-900; Gunnis (1936) 195].

Description: The dome-hall structure with round apse and semi-circular arches and vaults was built in rubble masonry (?).

Dating: A 12th century (?) date is likely [MKE 13, 209]; Procopiou suggests a date in the second quarter of the 12th century [Procopiou (2006a) 126].

Later additions / alterations: A west vaulted extension was added in the 16th century (?) [Gunnis (1936) 195; MKE 13, 209] when the west wall of the dome-hall church was pulled down.

Early literature: The decoration had already disappeared by the late 19th century, when the monastery became defunct [Jeffery (1907a) 8, Jeffery (1918) 337-38].

Views: Soteriou (1935) pl. 41b.

Plan / section: Soteriou (1935) 47 [in the section only four windows are shown in the dome drum instead of eight, as already noticed in Megaw (1936) 270]; Procopiou (2006a) 129.