Near the south coast, less than 1 mile (1.5 km) south of Anogyra (Limassol district), on a plateau overlooking Curium bay at 400m a.s.l. The Byzantine church stands next to a late medieval (15th century?) domed church and on the site of a monastery attested in Ottoman times [Kyprianos (1788) 393; Kyriazes (1950) 145-46]. The nearby settlement of Anogyra is mentioned in a Roman inscription (as Onogyra), in the Acts of Barnabas (chora Anogyron), and it is attested again in late medieval times [Mitford (1950a) 65; MKE 2, 231, 8, 350; Richard (1962) 118; Grivaud (1998) 58]. Roman (?) remains have been found north of the church [a mosaic floor was reported in the early 20th century: Gunnis (1936) 166].
Description: The now ruinous large timber roofed pier basilica with three semi-circular apses was built in rubble masonry using good quality ashlar for the piers and arches. There are three wide round arches in each arcade, while above the east and west arches there is a larger blind arch. The taller central arches perhaps carried a lantern over the nave, although there are no traces of transverse arches (e.g. their springing) to create a base. The north aisle is best preserved: its west façade is decorated with a large blind arch, the western doorway is crowned with a double recessed relieving arch over a large monolithic lintel, and the north wall, east arch and apse remain standing.
Dating: An 8th-10th century (?) date is likely considering the use of the basilical scheme with piers [Papageorgiou (1996) 57].
Later additions / alterations: The north wall was strengthened with the addition of buttresses at some unknown date. The ruined basilica was subsequently subdivided into small compartments (monastic cells?) and the floor level was altered in various parts at an unrecorded date [in the late Lusignan or Ottoman period according to Papageorgiou (1996) 57].
Early literature: The ruins are briefly mentioned by Jeffery [Jeffery (1918) 385].
Plan / section: Papacostas (1999a) vol. 3, figs. 129-130.