Near the south coast, 5 miles (8 km) north of Limassol harbour and 1.2 miles (2 km) south of Palodia (Limassol district), on a hill overlooking Limassol bay and the Akroteri peninsula, at 250m a.s.l. Palodia is attested in sources since the 13th century [Papacostas (1999a) 6.C.71]. The church is dedicated to the early Christian bishop of Neapolis (modern Limassol) Tychikos [Delehaye (1907) 237 and 256; see also MKE 13, 195-96].
Description: The large now ruinous domed pier cross-in-square structure with three semi-circular apses was built in rubble and ashlar masonry over a late antique basilica, incorporating its three-step synthronon (non-homocentric with medieval apse wall) and opus sectile floor, and using architectural elements in its masonry (column and cornice fragments built into the northwest pier, cornice fragments, stone bases and capitals among the debris). Barrel vaults and arches were round, and better ashlar was employed in the arches compared to the rest of the structure. Only the northwest compartment is still standing today, with a blind arch on its north wall and part of the vault (where faint traces of fresco are preserved), and the lower walls of the southwest compartment. It is unclear if the (also ruinous) rectangular narthex is contemporaneous with the naos or later.
Dating: A likely 11th / early 12th-century date may be proposed on account of the architecture.
Later additions / alterations: The doors of the west compartment were walled.
Modern repairs: Work by the Department of Antiquities started in 1994 [MKE 15, 289]. Clearing of the debris and excavation of the structure will shed more light on its layout, building phases and chronology.
Plan / section: Papacostas (1999a) vol. 3, fig. 244.