In the Karpas peninsula, north of Koma tou Gialou (Famagusta district).
Description: The vaulted single-aisled structure with semi-circular apse and rib arch on engaged piers carrying the barrel vault was built in rough ashlar. A flight of stairs in the centre of the church leads to an underground rock-cut chamber belonging to an extensive ancient necropolis. Traces of fresco decoration are preserved witin the church [Papageorgiou (1969) 280-88; MKE 12, 259].
Later additions / alterations: The structure was badly restored in the early 20th century when a window was opened on the north wall and the west door was altered [Papageorgiou (1969) 280-81].
Modern repairs: In 1967 the plaster was removed, the recent window on the north wall was blocked, the door on the west façade (altered in the early 20th-century restoration) was repaired, a new floor was installed, the vault was repaired, the fresco decoration was cleaned and new door valves and window panels were provided [ARDA 1967, 11; Papageorgiou (1969) 288].
Early literature: Koma tou Gialou was visited in 1888 by Hogarth, who mentions the ruins of several chapels in the vicinity, although not by name; Jeffery speaks of the ruin of ‘Saint Solomon’ which he dates to the 15th century [Hogarth (1889) 68; Jeffery (1918) 251; see also Gunnis (1936) 281].
Plan / section: Papageorgiou (1969) 282.