In the Karpas peninsula, 7.5 miles (12 km) east of Gialousa and 5.5miles (9 km) west of Rizokarpaso (Famagusta district).
Description: The dome-hall structure with semi-circular apse, round arches and vaults, and only one arched recess along the north and the south walls [cf. Saint Napa at Kandou] was built in rough ashlar over a late antique basilica. The transition between the square base and the dome drum is effected through an ill-defined pendentive zone over the arches that creates squinch-like devices instead of pendentives [MKE 13, 335].
Dating: Perhaps datable to the middle Byzantine period, although a much earlier 7th / 8th-century date has been suggested by Procopiou [Procopiou (2006a) 16]; according to Chotzakoglou ‘the proposed 8th-century date appears to be too early’ [Chotzakoglou (2005) 483-484].
Later additions / alterations: A (no longer surviving) chapel was added to the north communicating with the original structure through a slightly pointed arch which was opened in the west part of its north wall. The church was ‘restored’ in c.1960 [MKE 13, 335].
Early literature: Although Pococke and Hogarth visited the area in 1738 and 1888 respectively, and the former speaks of the (no longer surviving) ruined chapel of Saint Marina at nearby Selenia, the church of Saint Photios is not mentioned [Cobham (1908) 257; Hogarth (1889) 93]. Enlart and Jeffery speak of a twin-aisled church with fresco decoration in a ruined village [Enlart/Hunt (1987) 313; Jeffery (1918) 253].
Views: Soteriou (1935) pl. 40b [ruined structure before the restoration].
Plan / section: Department of Antiquities Archive C.19.575; Procopiou (2006a) 19.