In the Karpas peninsula, 4.5 miles (7 km) east of Rizokarpaso and 1.2 miles (2 km) south of Aphendrika (Famagusta district), on a ridge overlooking the eastern tip of the peninsula. The settlement of Agridia is mentioned in late medieval sources [Mas Latrie (1852-61) 3.508, Mas Latrie (1886) 420] but clearly it is not to be confused [as in Hogarth (1889) 88] with the casal of Agridia belonging to Jean de Verny in the late 13th century [Coureas and Schabel (1997) 232; Mas Latrie (1879) 403; see also Richard (1983) 187, no. 179, n.3].
Description: The single-aisled vaulted structure with semi-circular apse is covered by a barrel vault carried on two rib arches on engaged piers creating three arched recesses along each of the longitudinal walls. Two of those have slightly pointed arches, the larger west recess has a round arch, while the southwest recess houses an arcosolium (a founder’s tomb?). The masonry is made of relatively good ashlar, and traces of fresco decoration are aslo preserved [MKE 13, 253-54].
Dating: A 12th century terminus ante quem is provided by the style of the fresco decoration [MKE 13, 253-54].
Later additions / alterations: A south chapel (now ruined) and an arcaded narthex or portico were added later.
Modern repairs: In the late 1960s / early 70s the structure was repaired, the ruins of the south chapel were revealed, and the frescoes were cleaned [ARDA 1967, 13, 1973, 16].
Views: ARDA 1973, figs. 23-24 [before and after the repairs to the narthex].
Plan / section: Soteriou (1935) 41; Department of Antiquities Archive C.18.428 and C.19.655.