In the southeastern Troodos Mountains, 1.5 miles (2.5 km) west of Arakapas (Limassol district) on the south foothills of Mount Papoutsa (1554m a.s.l.) in the upper valley of Germasogeia river, at 480m a.s.l. A church of ‘Sancta Cruce de Mesochipi’ was built on the site by a Venetian landowner named Aurio Cavatorta [Papadopoulou (1983) 313], who also founded a church dedicated to Saint Constantine (presumably at the modern nearby village of Hagios Konstantinos). The site was marked as ‘Stavros Mesokyprou’ on Kitchener’s map [Kitchener (1885)]. ‘Stauros Mesokepou’ is also mentioned in a marginal note recording the purchase of the manuscript (Jer. Saba 234) by a certain Brachem de Lious in 1456 [Darrouzès (1957) 147; see also Papacostas (1999a) 6.B.II.16, and Meimares (1986) 420 and 429].
Description: The now ruinous domed cruciform structure with semi-circular apse was built in local sideropetra rubble and brick (used in the arches). The north and west cross arms with their pointed vaults survive almost complete, together with the northwest pendentive. Very faint traces of fresco decoration are preserved on the north bema wall. The (original?) pan and cover tiles still adhere to the surviving portions of roof.
Dating: If the surviving structure is to be identified with Aurio Cavatorta’s church, then a late 12th century date is possible. The only element which is useful for dating purposes is the pointed vault of the north and west cross arms, providing a mid-12th century terminus post quem.
Modern repairs: The ruin was recently consolidated, and modern door jambs and lintels were installed in the partly rebuilt north and west cross arm façades.
Early literature: Briefly mentioned by Jeffery as ‘rustic church curiously named Stavros Mesokyprou’ [Jeffery (1918) 359].
Plan / section: Papacostas (1999a) vol. 3, fig. 142.