In the Mesaoria plain, on a low hill outside Perachorio (Nicosia district) at 260m a.s.l., on the south bank of Gialias opposite the village of Nesou [Papacostas (1999a) 6.C.66]. Although today the church serves the village cemetery and no traces of annex buildings survive nearby, perhaps it originally belonged to a monastery, such as that of Saints Peter and Paul attested in the 12th century [Papacostas (1999a) 6.B.I.67].
Description: The small dome-hall structure was built in rubble masonry and ashlar was used only for the quoins and semi-circular arches, while some brick was employed in the windows and arches. The dome is low and drumless with a cavity in the centre. The relatively large apse is lit by a triple window. Over both the north and the south doorways there is a horse-shoe relieving arch in brick [Megaw and Hawkins (1962) 280-84; MKE 2,257-58]. The extensive but damaged fresco decoration has been well studied [Megaw and Hawkins (1962); Mango (1969) 99; Winfield (1978) 283-84; Stylianou (1985) 422-24; Hadermann-Misguich (1985) 239-41; Wharton (1988) 83].
Dating: The fresco decoration of c.1160-80 provides a terminus ante quem; but the church was perhaps not built immediately before the execution of the decoration as it is usually assumed [Megaw and Hawkins (1962) 348], since certain alterations were deemed necessary: the north and south façade windows were blocked and masonry jambs were added to the east engaged piers in order to conform to the decorative programme [Megaw and Hawkins (1962) 283]. A mid-12th century date is also proposed by Procopiou [Procopiou (2006a) 270].
Later additions / alterations: The west wall was rebuilt and the north and south doors were widened at an unrecorded (modern) date [Megaw and Hawkins (1962) 280 n.9].
Modern repairs: The roof was tiled (a few original tiles were used), the plaster was removed from the north wall revealing the Dormition fresco, a door was opened in the (modern) west wall, the north and south doors were narrowed to their original width, new door and window panels were installed, and the frescoes were cleaned and consolidated in the 1950s-60s [ARDA 1954, 11, 1959, 13, 1960, 11, 1969, 8; Megaw and Hawkins (1962) 280 n.9].