In the Karpas peninsula at Aphendrika, 1 mile (1.5 km) west of the ancient site of Urania (Famagusta district), next to the ruined churches of Asomatoi and Panagia, near the north coast [on the site see Papacostas (1995) Gazetteer 2].
Description: The now ruinous small single-aisled domed structure with a symmetrical twin apse [cf. Saint George of Choulou] was built in rough ashlar. It was originally covered with a dome on transverse round arches. An apsidal narthex (attested through its foundations) was added at a later stage [MKE 3.79; Papageorgiou (1985b) 442].
Dating: An 8th-10th century date has been suggested by Megaw and Papageorgiou, although its basis remains unclear [Megaw (1974) 78 suggests that this is the earliest surviving domed building on Cyprus; Papageorgiou (1965a) 96; on the date see also Vocotopoulos (1967/68) 69-70, and Dimitrokallis (1976) 61-62]. Procopiou proposes a late 9th / early 10th century date [Procopiou (2006a) 29]. An 11th / 12th century date for the apsidal narthex is likely as this is the period when similar examples were erected at Apsinthiotissa, Koutsobendes and Asinou.
Modern repairs: In 1964 the west wall and the apsidal narthex were revealed after the removal of debris from the west part of the ruined church [Papageorgiou (1965a) 96].
Early literature: The site was briefly mentioned by Pococke in 1738 [Cobham (1908) 258]; a ‘small Byzantine building of unusual appearance with two naves’ is mentioned by Enlart [Enlart/Hunt(1987) 305]. It is perhaps identical with the church of Saint Demetrius mentioned in some early literature on the site [Hogarth (1889) 85; Peristianes (1910) 538].
Views: Soteriou (1935) pl. 13b.