In the northwestern foothills of the Troodos Mountains, at Lysos (Paphos district), overlooking the coast at 550m a.s.l. The settlement at Lysos is attested in late medieval times [Richard (1983) 163; Mas Latrie (1886) 418], while the nearby villages of Melandra and Philousa are attested earlier, since the 12th century [Papacostas (1999a) 6.C.56 and 81].
Description: The (much altered) dome-hall structure was built in rough ashlar. The earliest surviving part of the building consists of a polygonal apse with a window which was walled when a fresco panel was inserted.
Dating: A 12th century (?) date is suggested by the blocking of the apse window in the 13th century so as to receive a fresco panel depicting the Virgin [Weyl Carr (1995) 348-49]. The church was previously attributed to the late medieval period on account of the relief panels with coats of arms on the façades of the western extension [Jeffery (1918) 410; Gunnis (1936) 331-32].
Later additions / alterations: The apse window was walled and provided with Gothic tracery in the 13th century A western extension was erected and the superstructure (vaulting and dome?) was rebuilt in the late medieval period.
Early literature: Rock-cut tombs in the vicinity and the coats-of-arms were mentioned in 1888 [Hogarth (1889) 18].
Views: Weyl Carr (1995) fig. 20 [fresco panel in the apse window].